Herb Chicken Tortellini with Pomodoro Sauce
- 3 pounds fresh plum tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 package BUITONI Refrigerated Herb Chicken Tortellini (20 oz.)
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese (5 oz.)
BRING a large pot of water to a boil. Cut a small, shallow X on the bottom of each tomato. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 15 seconds, then remove to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, peel the scored end with a knife. Then halve lengthwise and remove seeds. Chop tomatoes, reserving juice from the cutting board.
HEAT 3 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and juice; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until tomatoes lose their juice. Season with salt. While sauce is cooking, prepare pasta.
PREPARE pasta according to package directions.
STIR basil into tomato sauce; cook for 1 minute. Add pasta and remaining tablespoon oil to tomato mixture; toss well to coat. Top with cheese and extra basil, if desired.
Cook’s Tip: 2 cans whole tomatoes with juice (28 ounces each) can be used in place of plum tomatoes. Smash the whole tomatoes then add to the skillet.